Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Lyn!!!

I met Lyn in July of 2008 when I started working for the Community Action House. For the first couple months or so our relationship was mostly professional, but when I learned what a foodie she was we quickly developed a food relationship as well. I had recently gotten married and had very little experience cooking. I was looking for new recipes and ways to impress my new husband so I soon became a regular in Lyn's office asking for suggestions. One of the recipes my husband and I use often is the recipe she gave me for Asparagus Risotto.

Asparagus Risotto

1 lb. asparagus - peeled, trimmed and cut in 1" long pcs, tips reserved

6 cups chicken or vegetable stock

2 tbsp EVOO

3 tbsp butter

1/3 cup medium red onion, diced

1 1/2 cups Arborio rice

1/2 cup dry white wine

1/2 cup grated Parm chz

salt to taste

Bring a pot of water to boil. Add 1/2+ asparagus and cook until quite soft, at least 5 minutes. Rinse quickly under cold water. Put in blender with water until smooth. Set aside.

Put stock in medium saucepan over low heat. Put oil and 1 tbsp butter in large, deep nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot add onion until soft, 3-5 mins.

Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally until glossy, 2-3 mins. Add white wine and salt, stir and let liquid bubble away. Add stock 1/2 cup at a time when evaporated.

After 15 mins add asparagus pcs and tips continuing to add stock when necessary. In 5 mins begin tasting. GOAL: tender, but a little crunch (could be as long as 30 mins). Stir in asparagus puree. Remove skillet from heat, add butter and parm. Serves 4-6.


When I can't find something in the grocery store (Arborio rice, tahini, pear nectar, etc...) I can always count on Lyn to point me in the right direction (or to have an extra in her pantry). She seems to have the aisles of our local Meijer store memorized.

Lyn has also introduced me to things I would never have tried otherwise, Swiss chard for example. With a little bit of olive oil and garlic I was surprised by how much I liked this! It is now one of my favorite vegetables. Her applesauce spice cake is another favorite of mine! She brought this it to work one day and I probably ate 4 slices throughout the day. I always look forward to her bringing in treats at work, because it's often something I have never had before and I know it's going to be good!

Thanks for being such an inspiration to me, both professionally and in the kitchen! I hope you have a great 50th Birthday Lyn and can continue to enjoy your love for food through this blog!!!


Thanks for being my colleague and friend!

Andrea

1 comment:

  1. I have this recipe too, and since spring asparagus is my no-contest favorite vegetable, I love it too. ****

    ReplyDelete