Sunday, May 29, 2011

Speaking of cupcakes. . .


I was looking forward to Lyn's post of the red Velvet cupcakes but alas, her virtuous side prevailed and we were treated to the Kale & Bean Casserole. Which I have yet to try but, I'm sure is delicious.

Still craving cupcakes, I managed to convince my friend Lisa's 4 year old daughter Nina we needed to make cupcakes for her Mom's birthday.

Armed with the May issue of Real Simple we first made the "chocolate" cupcake. Then went into a decorating frenzy with cookies, sprinkles, colored sugar (Nina! stop eating that!), chocolate chips, strawberries, choco nibs (whatever they are), food coloring and whatever else we could find in the cabinet and refrigerator.

It was great fun and even earned us a post on her Dad's facebook page.

This awesome article, "The only cake story you'll ever need" consisted of 2 basic cakes, 6 frostings, 3 fillings, 12 toppings 6 "tips for better baking", and a plethora of decorating ideas. 256,620 options . . . really they did the math!

I hope Sam and Max will be ready to do some baking when I visit in July. Hey! Isn't it their Dad's birthday in July?

3 comments:

  1. Some of my kids' favorite memories depended on people cooking and baking with them--cupcakes more than kale casseroles. You are such a good "auntie." These look amazing and it sounds like they were fun to make. Maybe my child care charges would like to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I think I see some faces in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great! Max for sure will enjoy the decorating.

    ReplyDelete