Sunday, May 1, 2011

Raymond's & Food

So another growing up story...for those of you who don't know our Dad did all the cooking...We learned a lot about the finer foods in life from him....when he was away on business we had what I remember as "FUN FOOD" - in other words food my father would not touch. This included comfort foods like meatloaf, stouffers french bread pizza, meat and noodle casserole ( see earlier post from sister Susan) and cream of chicken soup over rice which as I recall was Lyn's favorite.

During summer vacations on Lake George the family gathered for many years and as we grew our friends came with us to stay. I believe their memories of vacationing with the Raymonds was the constant chatter and planning that went into the next meal...at breakfast it was planning for lunch, at lunch it was what was happening for dinner and who was doing what to contribute.

All and all we have each grown to love good food and how to eat well.... in spite of the chicken livers...I think my sisters and I are grateful for this knowledge even if it took a while to appreciate.

This is a new recipe for me and one I am fairly certain our dad would not try....but thankfully he gave us the gift of adventure when it comes to food. Enjoy!

Matzo Brei with bananas and yogurt

3 boards of matzo - broken into pieces
1 large egg
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp of butter1 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
1 large banana thinly sliced
1/4 blueberries

Place Matzo into a colander in sink and hold under running water for 30 seconds to dampen - drain well and set aside

In a large bowl, beat together egg and egg whites, cinnamon, salt and sugar- Add Matzo, stir to gently coat

In a 9 inch skillet melt butter, pour matzo mixture in the skillet in an even layer, cook until bottom is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook until eggs are set and second side is golden 2- 3 minutes more. Serve topped with yogurt, banana slices and blueberries. This serves 4 - and is 6 points for all you weight watchers :)

1 comment:

  1. Well if we are going there, I'll have to find my recipe for Gifilte Fish from Greta Weinberg.

    ReplyDelete